John Fraser was born in 1800 in Leslie . He was married twice: first to Harriet (or Henriet) Reid with whom he had three sons: Donald, Alexander and Andrew. During this time, he lived at Leslie. After his first wife died, he married a second time to Margaret Beattie, with whom he had three more children: Joseph, Margareta and Mary. During his second marriage, he lived at Kennethmont (sometimes spelled Kinnethmont), perhaps at a farm known as “The Law”. He died at the age of 30, leaving his first three sons in the care of their stepmother.
- Karen’s Family Tree page for John Fraser for sourced information and more details
Major Research Objectives:
- What can we find in the Old Parish Records (OPR)? We can speculate (based on his children’s names) that is father may have been named Donald Fraser and his mother may have been named Mary.
- Confirm dates of birth/baptism and death/burial
- Are there probate records for John?
- What was the cause of death?
- Look in Leslie for the early part of his life, his first marriage, and his children by his first wife. No known surviving Kirk records for Leslie.
- Look in Kinnethmont after his first wife dies; he probably died in Kinnethmont. Kinnethmont has Kirk Session Minutes for 1768-1871.
To Do List:
- Document sources on all research completed to-date
- Copy documentation to iPad
Related Research Pages:
Links of Interest:
- Mary Anne Hrubesky’s Ancestry Profile for John Fraser
- FamilySearch page for Leslie parish
- FamilySearch page for Kinnethmont (Kennethmont)