I was looking through Grandma Thelma’s photo album last week and noticed several fun photos of Grandma and her siblings through the years.
The siblings are:
- Thelma Ethel (Frasier) Pearson (1913-2002)
- Gerald Edwin “Ed” Frasier (1915-1995)
- Marvin Wayne Frasier (1917-1987)
- Vivian Ione (Frasier) Rudeen (1924-2017)
There were two other brothers in between Marvin and Vivian who did not survive childhood. Warren (b. 1921) may have been stillborn. Robert “Bobbie” (1922-1923) died of spinal meningitis. His death was especially hard on Lola.
From my Aunt Jane’s chapter about the Frasier family, here are notes about their childhood:
- Thelma was born on a farm near Ashland, Nebraska. She moved with her parents to a farm near Ceresco in 1917. She attended school at Rural District #45. She attended high school in Ceresco and graduated in 1931. During her high school years she boarded in town with Earl Wagner’s, Carl Dooley’s and Ileta Henrichson. She payed for her board with eggs, milk and cream. She also cleaned for the Thurman Martin family, but always went home on weekends.
- As a boy, Ed attended school in District 45. He attended high school in Ceresco, but stayed home and helped Roscoe with the farming. During World War II while Marvin went into the service, Ed was deferred. The policy in those years was to draft one son and leave one home on the farm.
- Marvin was born on the farm, and as a boy attended District 45 school. He graduated from Ceresco High school. He served in World War II.
- Vivan attended District 45 school as a child and graduated from Ceresco High School. She attended the University of Nebraska.
The three older kids rode a horse to school – see the two photos in the gallery below.
The last photo in the series – taken, I think, at Doug Rudeen’s wedding – captures all four exactly as I remember them. The other two photos from 1982 were taken in Grandma’s dining room.
You can click on the first photo to enlarge it, then use the arrows to advance the slideshow.